Friends,

Let's capture some of why we loved Wilke so much. As one friend of his put it:

"...write up an anecdote – some story where they watched Wilke build up into righteous anger when reporting a story... or ironing out a crease in the fabric of the Journal bureau... And someone should talk about him tearing up when he described taking his kid to college…..Or when he became nearly inconsolable when the anthrax story came back and cost him two fantastic seats at the Nats-Mets game. Describe a time he filled in for people, picked up their loads for them, counseled them, slipped them incredible sources, shared bylines... that will keep him alive and you (and the rest of us) afloat."

Post comments or photos here.

20090507

From Belize

The following is from an email received from Sharon Matola, director of the Belize Zoo, an old friend of Wilke and Nancy's from New College. Wilke and Nancy had hoped to visit Sharon in Belize after reading Bruce Barcott's The Last Flight Of The Scarlet Macaw, which chronicled the effort by Sharon and others to save the macaw habitat in the wilds of Belize. She asked that this be posted:

It has taken awhile for me to get it together to write to you. I am so sad over John's passing away, so sad. What a loss to this world.

I'm so sorry for Nancy. They were such a together duo, so very cool....

Evan, I know I'll be blue for sometime reading about John like this....please put my thoughts there for me? He was such a gifted and special person. Thanks for letting me know, and how I wish he could have visited me....sharon

via Evan Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment